ROGER WILLIAMS SILVER CO.
PROVIDENCE, RI. USA
STERLING SILVER RETICULATED DISH
To order email or call 613-771-1306 - (9 am - 6 pm EASTERN TIME)
WE SHIP WORLDWIDE
ROGER WILLIAMS SILVER CO.
Successor to the Howard Sterling Co., merged with Mauser and Hayes & McFarland
to become Mt. Vernon Co. which became a division of Gorham in 1913
Roger Williams Silver Co. A. Newsalt - Dayton, Ohio - Retailer
LENGTH - 9 3/4", WIDTH - 6 7/8", HEIGHT - 2"
WEIGHT - APPROXIMATELY 6.85 TROY OZ.
THERE ARE SOME MINOR DENTS ON THE FLAT SURFACE OF THE BOTTOM
RETAILER - ADOLPH NEWSALT, DAYTON, OHIO
Centennial Portrait and Biographical Record of the City of Dayton and of Montgomery County, Ohio
ADOLPH NEWSALT, [pages 312-315] the leading jeweler, of Dayton, Ohio, and owner of one of the finest establishments of the kind in the state of Ohio, if not in the entire west, was born in Prussia, December 25, 1848. The father of Mr. Newsalt died in Germany, and in 1857, with his mother, Adolph came to the United States, landing in New York. For a time after reaching this country he attended school in the city of New York, and then went to La Crosse, Wis., situated on the east bank of the Mississippi river, and there in 1860 he began an apprenticeship at the jeweler's trade, serving four years. In 1864 he came to Dayton, his mother having, in 1860, removed to this city from Saint Louis. Upon reaching Dayton he went to work in the jewelry store of Henry Kline, under the Phillips house. He remained with Mr. Kline for one year, at the end of which period he went to Springfield, Ohio, and there worked for A. Aaron, a jeweler, for somewhat more than a year. He had now accumulated a little over $300, and returning to Dayton he at once established himself in the jewelry business on a very small scale on Fifth street. His business was at first so small that he was able to do all of his work himself, and this was the case for about two years; but it was a frequent experience for him to be at work at his bench as late as one or two o'clock in the morning.
By degrees his business so increased that he was at length compelled to move into larger quarters. This necessity was forced upon him at several different times, his business extending year by year, until at length he prevailed upon Mr. John Bosler to tear down his little house on Fifth street and erect for him upon its site a large store room in which he remained for fifteen years. Upon the completion of the Davies building at Fourth and Main streets, Mr. Newsalt removed into his present quarters, which were designed especially for his business, he having leased the room in which he is now located prior to the completion of the building,
The establishment is one of the most complete and best designed in the country, and it is no uncommon thing for parties to come from great distances, as from Saint Louis and other points, to pattern after it in their respective homes. It covers a space 32x75 feet in size, with a basement of the same dimensions underneath. The entire fronts, on both Main and Fourth streets, are of glass, thus making it one of the finest show rooms to be found. Mr. Newsalt employs twenty men the year round, and in business seasons adds to his force as occasion requires.
Mr. Newsalt was married in Dayton, November 10, 1870, to Sarah Wise, formerly from Paducah, Ky. One son has been born to this marriage, T. A. Newsalt, who was educated at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and who is now in his father's establishment as salesman, an excellent position in which to gain a full knowledge of the business and of the trade of jeweler. Mr. Newsalt is, in point of fact and in the best sense of the word, a self-made man, and his career should be the means of encouraging the young men of this day to be satisfied with small beginnings.